Whether you’re a low-key observer of the spooky season or a dedicated Monster Monarch, odds are your harvest-time display is draining precious (and expensive) energy. Here’s how to keep your Halloween decorations from costing you this fall.
Ward off Energy Vampires with Alternative Halloween Decor
The simplest way to avoid utility bill “boos” is to minimize or eliminate your use of electric products. Here are some ideas for achieving festive punch without paying for power:
- Use bright colors to maximize the impact of your Halloween display day or night.
- Try simple glow-in-the-dark products (like artificial spider webs), or make your own phantoms using phosphorescent paint, fabric, or tape.
- Summon light from other sources with reflective or glittery surfaces.
- Take advantage of free wind power. Consider festive decorative spinners or bobble-headed figures for eye-catching movement. Festoon your indoor and outdoor spaces with white gauze, fabric “ghosts,” and other feather-light materials. Not only is white easily visible at night, but your specters will also be “animated” by autumn breezes at all hours.
Choose Long-lasting, Energy Efficient Decorations
If nothing less than a positively electric display will do, try these tricks to make your home or office a treat:
- Try solar lights to keep your eerie glow off your utility bill altogether. Today, there are plenty of non-seasonal and Halloween-specific options to choose from.
- Choose ENERGY STAR–certified Halloween string lights and skip “electricity hogs” like inflatables and animatronics.
- Look for high-quality products that are built to last. Check reviews and buy from reputable brands and retailers to avoid having to replace your electric decor each year.
- Purchase products with LED light bulbs rather than incandescent ones. In addition to offering better fire safety by not overheating, LED bulbs use 75 percent less electricity—and they’re often cheaper as well.
Plug Electric Decor into the Most Wonderful Time(rs) of the Year
If you’re using plug-in ghouls, you can save yourself even more energy and hassle by putting all your electric decor on timers. Choose from digital, mechanical, and photocell (daylight-sensitive) varieties; for indoors, you can even install entire programmable outlets.
Get More Chills and Thrills with Energy Efficient Upgrades
Want to rule Halloween Town without skimping on electric decorations? Consider energy efficient household upgrades that will offset your fright night energy use so you can brew up outsized witchy fun. Some of the best ways to maximize your energy savings in one fell broom swoop include:
- Installing solar panels and batteries
- Purchasing an energy efficient HVAC system
- Upgrading your water heater
- Investing in energy efficient major appliances (refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, and clothes washers and dryers)
Fall into Energy Savings with Michigan Saves
If you live in Michigan and you’re ready to invest in green appliances, you can get financing for new and safe energy efficient upgrades to your home with Michigan Saves, the nation’s first nonprofit green bank.
Michigan Saves can help keep Mother Nature from costing you all year long. Our financing can help you quickly turn your house into a comfortable and energy efficient home by paying for virtually any energy upgrade you need. Check out our list of eligible improvements and get professional help from one of our authorized contractors in your area. Fall into energy savings with us today!