If you’ve been eyeing electric vehicles (EVs) as options for your next car, you’re not alone. As of 2020, about 1.8 million EVs were registered in the U.S., and more are purchased every day. EVs come in three varieties: all-electric vehicles or battery-electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid vehicles, and fuel-cell vehicles. Here’s why you should take the leap to electric the next time you’re in the market for a car.
- Sustainable, resilient energy use. Electric cars help to reduce U.S. dependence on petroleum. Currently, electricity for these vehicles is produced by natural gas, coal, nuclear energy, wind energy, solar power, and hydropower. This diversification of energy sources significantly reduces petroleum (gasoline) consumption.
- Supports the U.S. economy and fuel security. Becoming less dependent on petroleum helps the U.S. be more energy secure. Energy alternatives to petroleum can be generated and sourced domestically, strengthening the economy as well.
- Hybrid and fully electric vehicles are more fuel-efficient than gas-powered ones. In addition to being more energy efficient, it also costs less to power EVs. You can find more resources on fuel-efficient vehicles on the U.S. Department of Energy website.
- Government and utility incentives help offset the cost of EVs. Financial benefits include a federal tax credit as well as state and utility incentives.
- Electric vehicles offer a more pleasant driver experience. EVs are quiet, don’t smell of gasoline, and don’t require excessive maintenance; some may even have better performance than gas-powered vehicles.
- They charge fast and go the distance. Most EVs can now travel up to 250 miles on one charge, and some can fully recharge in less than an hour.
- You can charge them at home—no regular trips to charging stations needed. You can fully charge your EV at home, and because their range is now so significant, you won’t have to worry about finding an EV charging station unless you’re on a road trip. For long trips, you can use an app to find the nearest public charging station.
Newest EVs on the Market Today
Most people think of sedans and compact cars when they think of electric vehicles, but electric trucks and SUVs are becoming increasingly available. The hottest new EVs are becoming more affordable as well, and you won’t have to sacrifice style for energy efficiency.
Get Financing for an Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Michiganders can get financing for electric vehicle charging stations, energy efficient appliances, and other energy-saving upgrades with Michigan Saves. Making your home more efficient can save you cash now and all year long. Michigan Saves financing can help you quickly turn your house into a comfortable and energy efficient home by paying for virtually any energy upgrade you need.
Get professional help from one of our authorized Michigan contractors in your area and cozy up to energy savings with us today!