When you think about conserving water and saving on water bills, you probably think in terms of using less water in sinks, showers, tubs, dishwashers, and washing machines. Yet toilets account for almost 30 percent of the average home’s water usage. Older, less efficient models can use up to seven gallons per flush (GPF), or 12,775 gallons per person per year. Fortunately, there are a variety of ways to upgrade this bathroom fixture so that it saves natural resources—up to 520 billion gallons of water per year!—as well as your bank account.
Ways To Make Your Toilets More Efficient
Modify Your Existing Toilet
- Installs easily
- Can be used on almost any toilet model
- Offers both small and full flush modes
- Costs far less than buying and installing a new toilet
- Conserves water (a family of four can save over 10,000 gallons per year)
- Keeps your current toilet out of the landfill for longer
Replace Your Toilet with a More Energy Efficient Model
If your toilet is old, damaged, or otherwise due to be replaced, it makes sense to do so with a water-efficient toilet. Although this option is more costly in the short term, the utility savings it offers can help offset this over time. You can choose from at least four different types of models. Look for one with the WaterSense label to get these benefits:
- Remove waste using water velocity, not water volume, and use only about 1.28 GPF
- Reduce toilet water usage by 20–60 percent, saving almost 13,000 gallons per year
- Some models are both low cost and low maintenance
- Some models come in a range of designs and styles to match your bathroom decor
WaterSense-labeled units come at a wide variety of price points, so whether you’re looking for something basic or fancy, there’s a water-efficient toilet that fits your budget. In addition, WaterSense-labeled product partners sometimes offer rebates on purchases of these units—look to see if rebates are available in your area.
Get Financing for Energy Efficient Upgrades to Your Home
If you live in Michigan, you can get financing for new, more efficient bathroom fixtures and other energy-saving upgrades with Michigan Saves.
Making your home more efficient can save you cash now and all year long. Our financing can help you quickly turn your house into a comfortable and energy-efficient home by paying for virtually any energy upgrade you need.
Get professional help from one of our authorized Michigan contractors in your area. Spring into energy savings with us today!