Michigan Saves is soliciting proposals from firms qualified to provide legislative and lobbying consulting services. It is our intent to select a single consultant to accomplish the services outlined in this request for proposals (RFP).
Overview of Michigan Saves
Michigan Saves is a nonprofit dedicated to making energy improvements easier for all Michigan energy consumers. To accomplish this, Michigan Saves operates as a green bank, making affordable financing and incentives available through partnerships with private-sector lenders and energy providers. We also authorize and monitor a network of contractors and recognize those with advanced training while providing technical assistance for customers and contractors alike. Our current portfolio includes programs for residential, commercial, and municipal customers, and supports energy-efficiency, geothermal, and solar photovoltaic projects. See MichiganSaves.org for more information.
Green banks negotiate favorable terms with lenders around the country to provide financial products in their state or community focused on energy improvements that may not otherwise be available. In exchange for more favorable rates and terms, green banks provide additional protection to lenders by funding their own loss reserve. Michigan Saves’ loss reserve was originally funded by the Michigan Public Service Commission and the U.S. Department of Energy, and since Michigan Saves’ creation in 2009, this structure has supported over $200 million in private lending in energy-efficiency and renewable energy improvements for homeowners, business owners, and the public sector. To support continued growth of this market, Michigan Saves will need to secure an additional $20 million in funding to support a total loan portfolio of over $1 billion.
Scope of Work
The successful firm will provide legislative and lobbying services at the state level to develop and execute a legislative strategy to position and secure funding. Specifically, the firm will:
- Prepare and execute a legislative strategy to position and secure funding in the state budget for Michigan Saves.
- Educate the governor’s office and legislators about value of Michigan Saves to secure long-term funding
- Ensure that policy makers recognize Michigan Saves as Michigan’s green bank for water, energy-efficiency, and renewable energy financing in all markets
- Identify, and assist in pursuing, other potential strategies to secure governmental funding
- Identify and educate Michigan Saves staff and/or board about potential state legislation of interest, monitor action on these initiatives, and advocate the organization’s interest when appropriate
- Provide regular updates to the Michigan Saves team and/or board
Responses to RFP
Responses to this RFP should:
- Provide a brief narrative of the firm and its qualifications and experience
- Specify the firm’s particular area of expertise and unique characteristics that set it apart, and how those strengths will benefit Michigan Saves
- Provide three recent (within the last three years) examples of funding you have secured for projects in similar size or scope
- Identify the approach the firm would use to accomplish the stated goals
- Articulate the way in which the firm expects to communicate with the Michigan Saves team, and identify what information the firm would need from us to be successful
- Identify potential conflicts of interest, and strategies you would deploy to address issues that arise
- Describe expected timeline and budget
- Provide resumes for the individuals that would be assigned
Bidders may include any other information that they believe Michigan Saves should consider. Please limit responses to a maximum of five pages. (Resumes are not included in the requested page count.) Michigan Saves will treat all responses as confidential. Michigan Saves is not liable for any costs incurred by applicants in responding to this RFP.
Please submit responses by sending an email to Kaitlyn Wyckoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard-copy responses may be sent to:
230 N. Washington Square, Ste. 300
Lansing, MI 48933
Electronic submission is preferred.
The deadline for response is 5:00 PM EST on Friday, January 18, 2019.
After reviewing the responses, Michigan Saves may contact one or more respondents to discuss their bid. Michigan Saves expects to select the winning bidder by February 7, 2019.